35

Today is my birthday...and on a gal's birthday, she reflects on life and thinks about the things that make her happy and make her life worth living.  So, indulge me as I tell you about some of my all time favorite books!



Picture Book Loves
My A #1 favorite picture book of all time is Dooley and the Snortsnoot by Jack Kent.  Not because of any stylistic elements or deep hidden meaning or anything like that.  This is a book I fell in love with as a child.   This is a book that is on my nightstand as an adult.  This is MY book.  It is no longer in publication, but if you ever have the chance to read it, you should.

Another couple of old friends are Herbert the Timid Dragon and The Little House.  AMAZING.

My favorite more recent picture books are easily The Brief Thief and Tea Rex.  These books are funny...seriously, like giggle out loud funny.  Kids love them.  Adults love them.  Boy + Bot is pretty adorable, as well!


Fairy Tale Love

My mom took me to a garage sale when I was about six or seven.  They had books!  I bought (for 25 cents each) one of the books from The Golden Book History of the United States and a collection of fairy tales from Hans Christian Andersen.  Best 50 cents I ever spent.  On a side note, I still have those books...

I read Oscar Wilde's fairy tales at some point during high school.  How could I not fall for his brilliant words?  I then went on to read all of his wonderful works and also fell for his snarky wit.



Middle Grade Love

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my absolute favorite middle grade novels.  I read it years ago and have come back time and time again to lose myself in the pages.

The Witches by Roald Dahl is another fabulous middle grade novel.  I remember checking it out from the library at Weldon Elementary and tearing right through it.  I was in awe of Dahl's skill with drawing me right in and making me feel like I was in the story.

One of my other favorite middle grade novels is not one that I read when I was younger.  I actually read it this year!  Missing May by Cynthia Rylant sucker-punched me!  I cried and cried and fell in love with it.  I have since read everything by the fabulous Ms. Rylant that I have been able to get my hands on!



YA Love

Earlier this year I read Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park.  Amazing.  It was absolutely amazing.  I loved it.  Loved the story.  Loved the voice.  Loved the writing style.  I can't wait to read her book Fangirl!

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen is a book that I read about on a friend's blog and ran right out to get.  Such a great book.  I am always surprised that it didn't cause more of a stir in the book world.  Anyway, I loved it.


Favorite "grown up" books

Wuthering Heights and The Scarlet Letter are classics that I read in high school.  I have loved them and read them many, many times since then.  The amazing loyalty, passion, and depth of emotion just slays me every single time.

Redeeming Love is one of those books that sounded a little too girly and a little too romantic for my taste.  My good friend, Christi, finally talked me into reading it.  I borrowed her copy and gave it back the next day with puffy eyes.  I read it in one sitting and cried as though my life was over.  It is that good.

My real, true pleasure these days, though are books with a bit of the magical...a bit of the dreamy...  At first I thought that just came with age and the repetitive motions of changing diapers and loading the dishwasher, but looking at all my lists I realize I've always loved just a bit of magic...just a touch of fairy dust.  If you enjoy that too, you should read The Gilly Salt Sisters and The Little Giant of Aberdeen County (both by Tiffany Baker) and anything by Sarah Addison Allen--Garden Spells is my favorite!



Book I couldn't live without

The Bible.  I know not all my readers are Christians.  I am, though.  And God is the one who gets me through all my crazy days!  He is my strength and my shield and the joy of my heart.  And His word is the only book I know that is living.  I realize there are readers out there that disagree.  That's ok. You aren't going to change my mind.  =)



Thanks for this birthday treat, y'all!  I had fun sharing all of my faves with you...I feel a little like Oprah!  I wish I could tell you to look under your seat and all these fabulous books would be there!


Labels: , , , , , , , ,