Marvelous Mattie

Marvelous Mattie
by Emily Arnold McCully
published by Farrar Strauss Giroux

I was drawn to the lovely cover of Marvelous Mattie immediately.  Sitting there on the library display, it called to me.  I checked it out.  I read.  I learned something!

I had never heard of Marvelous Mattie Knight.  Do you know who she is?


Called the "Lady Edison," she is responsible for many inventions--most notably that of the square-bottomed paper bag!  It's fun to learn about things that we take for granted in this day in age!  At one point this was a big enough problem that someone had to invent a machine to deal with it...and that person was Mattie Knight.

The real story here is not just that she was a female inventor in a time when no one thought it possible--the real story is that she believed in her inventions AND in her right to own it, woman or not!





Interested in Marvelous Mattie?
BUY IT HERE
ADD IT TO GOODREADS HERE

You can also read another interesting post on Mattie's bags HERE.

Labels: , , , ,