Pancho Rabbit and the Coyote

Pancho Rabbit and the Coyote:  A Migrant's Tale
by Duncan Tonatiua
published by Abrams Books for Young Readers
Pancho Rabbit and the Coyote: A Migrant's Tale



This book was such a surprise to me!  I am always looking for quality bilingual books.  This one is just that!

It is my belief that children should find books that they can relate to and find meaning in.  This book is a tale of immigrants.  The coyote in the book continues to ask for more and more, and sadly human coyotes do much the same.  This book broke my heart as it told a story that too many are familiar with.




I love this excerpt from the  Author's Note:

"We seldom see the dangerous journey immigrants go through to reach the U.S.  and the longing that their families feel for them back at home.  It is my desire that Pancho Rabbit and the Coyote:  A Migrant's Tale captures some of that sentiment; ironically, the animals convey the human emotions and side of the story.  I hope this book will help teachers, librarians, and parents spark conversations with young people about this critical issue.

Further, there are an estimated 1.5 million undocumented children in the U.S., and according to a 2011 Pew hispanic Center report, in 2008 there were 5.5 million children of illegal immigrants in U.S. schools.  I think that a lot of those children will relate to Pancho Rabbit."


Labels: , ,