Way Back Wednesday: Lord Rex

Lord Rex:  the lion who wished
written & illustrated by David McKee
published byAbelard-Schuman

This book has been on my bookshelf for as long as I can remember.  And this week, I enjoyed reading it again (for the millionth time).

Lord Rex is one of those melancholy type lions who is always wishing things were different.  One day, he is granted some of those wishes.  You know what they say:

Be Careful What You Wish For!

The reason this book has remained on my shelves for so long is because it addresses a universal truth in a simple way--that's what good picture books do.



It is a lesson book (I know the books with lessons are somewhat passe', but sometimes they are useful tools!)  This is an excellent book for kids that struggle with insecurity.  In the end, Lord Rex is happy to be who he was made to be.






 

Labels: , , , ,