YA Review: Being Henry David

Being Henry David by Cal Armistead
Being Henry David

by Cal Armistead
published by Albert Whitman & Company



"The last thing I remember is now."
Thoreau at Walden Pond

The Blurb

Seventeen year old Hank wakes up in Penn Station with no memory of how he got there--no memory of anything really.  All he has with him is a worn out copy of Walden by Henry David Thoreau.  In Armistead's debut novel, Hank searches for who he is...literally. 


My Two Cents

I had to read this book because of my freakish love for Thoreau!  It is a fast paced, quick read and is super fun.  It was nice to see a male YA voice that felt right!  I haven't read many male protagonists that I have loved lately.

Amnesia.
Loss.
Discovery.
Thoreau.

I really enjoyed this book, it's easy flow, and the perfect bit of suspense and wondering.

Walden Pond

And I thought the descriptions were spot on.  Having been to Walden Pond not so long ago, I could visualize the exact places Armistead described...but the great thing is that I would have been able to visualize without having been there.






Thoreau's Cabin at Walden Pond
Thoreau's cabin

Recycling Toilet System at Walden Pond
This was one of the coolest things at Walden Pond--EVERYTHING is done 
the way Thoreau would have wanted it!  Simple.

Site Marker of Thoreau's Cabin at Walden Pond

Labels: , ,