published by Thomas Nelson
I was asked recently to provide a review for this book. I must say that I have never reviewed a Bible before! The whole concept is a bit crazy! As a Christian, I believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, so reviewing is a little wild...
That being said, we all have our favorite Bibles. Some folks will only read from the King James, while others are on the other end of the spectrum with The Message. In this day of electronics, many of my friends use Bible apps and websites that allow you to choose the version that works best for you.
I love technology. I really do. I am not often without my phone, or computer, or Kindle...but at the heart of things, I'm an old fashioned gal, I guess. I am one of the few people in our small group at church that still dutifully takes my Bible--the one with pages, not the one in my phone. I really like to hold the Bible in my hands (probably for the same reason I prefer a book to the Kindle). There is something about God's word in print, y'all.
So after that long intro, let me tell you I've been reading from this new Modern Life Study Bible. It is not a hipster Bible that fits in your purse. It is a big mama-jama! It is New King James (which actually thrills my soul--I memorized all my verses in King James as a kid, so NKJV is about as modern as I can get!) It is positively loaded with information--and this is from a girl with LOTS of books on Biblical studies!
Blurb from Amazon
As members of the modern age, we sometimes feel disconnected from the world of the Bible. But if we look closely, we can see that although cultures change, our basic challenges stay the same. We still struggle with issues like community, justice, economic stress, political tensions, and cultural and ethnic differences. We still wonder who God is, how to discern His will, and how we fit into His plan.
Using historical context and fresh insights backed by biblical scholars, The Modern Life Study Bible explores the timeless truths that connect the people and stories of the Bible to the opportunities and demands we face today. God is at work in our world, inviting us to experience His presence.
With innovative, full-color illustrations, maps, and diagrams, along with special information on occupations of the Bible, profiles of people and places, theme indexes, and inspirational biographies of believers who put their faith to work, The Modern Life Study Bible will draw you in, helping you to know and embrace what it means to follow Christ in today’s world.
FeaturesMore than 2,400 concise articles and profiles
Hundreds of full-color maps, charts, diagrams, and illustrations
66 inspirational biographies
Indexes to aid navigation and study
My Two Cents
- I like the way this Bible is laid out. It is absolutely full of information, but it is organized wonderfully well. It is also in full color, which makes text boxes, graphs, and maps more easily read.
- There are introductions that give you the history and overall themes in each book.
- There is also a Focus feature that tells you what to look for in a passage. It gives other examples in scripture of the Biblical truth mentioned.
- The Insight feature may be my favorite feature of this particular Bible. After you've read the intro, history, and focus, the Insight section helps you apply it to your own life. This is something that so many struggle with when studying the Bible. I love that this makes application a bit easier!
- There are also biographies which highlight the fact that we are all given different gifts and we can use each of them to honor and glorify Him.
As I mentioned, this is a big Bible...you won't want to tote it along in your purse. If you are a regular student of the Bible, this is a perfect choice for home. The extra information can only shed more light on your study. If you are looking for a study Bible, you should certainly give this one a try!
So, this is an old You Tube video that I laugh at every single time! And if you like BIG Bibles, you need to check it out: