Everyone Prays

Everyone Prays - picture book explaining world religionsEveryone Prays:  Celebrating Faith Around the World
by Alexis York Lumbard
illustrated by Alireza Sadeghian
published by Wisdom Tales


The Blurb

“Christians, Jews, and Muslims all pray. So do Hindus and Buddhists. Many others pray too.” So begins Everyone Prays, a bright and colorful concept book celebrating the diverse ways that people pray. In a vibrant yet accessible manner, young readers are transported on a visual tour across the globe. They will discover the Native American sun dance ceremony, visit the sacred sites in Jerusalem, behold the Shinto shrines in Japan, watch Maasai dances in Kenya, see pilgrimages to the river Ganges in India, and much, much more. 
With an appendix to help answer questions children might have, Everyone Prays offers young hearts and minds a chance to learn that although people from other places and cultures may seem different, we all share the diverse world of faith and prayer. And what a bright and beautiful world it is!

My Two Cents

I am a Christian.  I say so proudly on my bio.  It isn't a secret.  That being said, I have a fascination with religion in general.  It was my minor in college.  It didn't cease after college.  I am always drawn in by why people believe what they believe.  I try to respect the religion of others, and hope that they will return that courtesy to me.  I don't think there are many converts by beating people over the head with what I believe.

For these reasons and more, I enjoyed this book.  It is incredibly simple.  At another time it might not get a post here, but because of world events and everything that is going on in Israel, it is a timely book.

If you have children questioning what people believe and why they believe it, this may be a good book to begin that conversation.

Again, this book is terribly simple, but it could be used as a tool.  The book doesn't identify with any one religion and tell the story from that point of view.  It, instead, is fact based, showing that each religion prays--some with beads, some while dancing, etc.  The highlight for me was the page at the end of the book which outlines religions with their basic beliefs.

Labels: , ,