Jonah and the Great Big Fish

Jonah and the Great Big Fish
by Rhonda Gowler Greene
illustrated by Margaret Spengler
published by Zonderkidz


The Blurb

God told Jonah to obey,
said, ‘Go to Nineveh this day.’
But, stubborn Jonah fled instead.
Didn’t do just what God said.”

Jonah’s disobedience landed him inside a big fish! And there he had time to think and pray.
Children will feel the waves and hear the splash as Jonah sinks “down and down and down” into the belly of the fish. This story serves as an excellent reminder of how important it is to listen to God.

My Two Cents

The story of Jonah has always been a favorite of mine.  And now I have two adorable three year olds who are also amazed by this story.  We have read many, many picture books retelling this Biblical tale.

I recently read Jonah and the Great Big Fish from Zonderkidz.  My first thoughts are that the illustrations are super fun.  My boys both liked them and asked lots of questions based on the pictures.  The story is told in rhyme, which quite honestly is not my favorite.  There are exceptions, of course, but overall I'm not into rhyme.

"Angry waves from the sea
whipped that ship so violently
Splashing, crashing waves so tall
made that ship prove weak and small."

The story stuck kept the scriptural integrity of the tale and kept my boys attention--which is no small feat!

Labels: , ,