Way Back Wednesday: The Egypt Game

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley SnyderThe Egypt Game
by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
published by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Blurb

The first time Melanie Ross meets April Hall, she’s not sure they have anything in common. But she soon discovers that they both love anything to do with ancient Egypt. When they stumble upon a deserted storage yard, Melanie and April decide it’s the perfect spot for the Egypt Game. Before long there are six Egyptians, and they all meet to wear costumes, hold ceremonies, and work on their secret code. Everyone thinks it’s just a game until strange things start happening. Has the Egypt Game gone too far?


My Two Cents

The first time I read this book was in fifth grade.  I had gone to see the Ramses exhibit in Dallas with my class and bought this book in the gift shop.  I remember plowing right through it...and then I read it again.  I have always been interested in ancient Egypt, and this book allowed my imagination to run wild.  
Now I'm a bit older, and I must say that it was as good as I remember!  Once again, I plowed right through it.  I had to fight myself over reading it again!  Snyder uses everyday "life stuff" of kids mixed with Egyptian history and big imagination to create a world that the reader longs to be part of!  

This is such a fun book, and there are countless ways to make it a learning experience too!  Check out these fun links from some of my blogging friends for fun activities about ancient Egypt:


 Egyptian activities


 Egypt activities



And, finally one of my favorite quotes from the book:




Labels: , ,