Difficult Books



There are some books that I put off for ages because I know that they will hurt...they will open my eyes.  Sometimes, knowledge is painful, am I right?  There are no books that do this to me quite like books about social justice.  Whether they are true stories or fictionalized accounts of what may have been, they absolutely tear my heart out.

The Diary of Ann Frank


I bawl.  Every. Single. Time.  The hope and the bravery of this girl and the ugliness of the world are too much for me to fully grasp.  Hard to read, but a must read.

Other books in this category for me are To Kill A Mockingbird, The Help, and 

At the risk of becoming too deep and moody, the rest of my books are much lighter.  They were hard to read, but not at all in the same way.


 Night Circus


This is our current Book Club book.  I am in the midst of reading it and struggling to get into it and connect the character to one another...but I will!


 The House at Riverton


This book is only hard because I seriously had to make myself read it!  A friend recommended it, so I knew it must be pretty good, but I struggled to get into it...and then I was and couldn't put it down!


 Let Me Hold You Longer


This will make any mama cry.  If you are a mama and you read this and don't shed at least the tiniest bit of moisture from your eyes, please take a photo and send it to me...that's the only way I'll believe you.

 Daniel


This book was hard to read.  It was hard to apply to my life.  And it is one of my all time favorites!  You study the Biblical Daniel and then glean truths from our modern times.  So challenging, y'all!

So, what's the most difficult book you've read lately?