What I Learned in April


I can't believe April is over!  It seems like it just began and like I was JUST telling you what I learned in March.

I've learned that I'm a pioneer type gal at heart.  From Laura Ingalls Wilder's words to Homegrown Sprout's blog...I am a fan of the simple and practical.  Jen Hatmaker's book Seven challenged me and I fear that I'm on the verge of becoming a full blown homesteading type of girl.  (I mean, I did totally miss my calling as a lettuce farmer...) 

Although, maybe not a TOTAL convert...I have no desire to homeschool or have chickens.  There.  I said it.  I love my kids so much, but I just don't want to be their teacher too.  I just want to be their mama.  And I want them to have lots of wonderful people in their lives teaching them all kinds of awesome things.  Also, I have tons of friends with chickens, but I must say that I don't see that in my future.  Ever.  We had them when I was a kid and they grossed me out...I didn't eat chicken for over a year!  I could get on board with some goats though if we had more space!  Speaking of goats, my beautiful friend Emily has goats and makes the most amazing soaps.   . Go check out her site. I'll wait here.


I've learned that one thing I really want to implement in our home is scripture memorization.  I just found Bible Memory: Remember Me, a free app that helps you memorize verses and even has little quizzes.  Social cues change, political ideas fluctuate, but the word of God is forever.  I want my kids to know it back and forth.  I'm also going to take this moment to publicly thank the late, great Rua Draper.  (She was my Sunday School teacher for years and inspired and incentivized us to learn our Bible verses.  She was a retired school teacher in her 80's and she was still serving.  There is no quota or time limit on using your spiritual gifts, y'all!  She is who I want to be when I grow up.)

I've learned that I could totally ditch cable television.  My life would be just fine with my stacks of books and the occassionaly movie on Netflix...though my fave use of Netflix is binge watching a series!  My husband does NOT feel the same way...but he will binge watch something with me sometimes!

I've learned that I get terribly frustrated with poorly produced books.  There are so many affordable illustrators, cover artists, editors, and public relations folks out there.  If you are a writer, please research and do everything you can to make that book a success.  I have read some books with fabulous plot lines BUT they had horrible editing.  I have read some super cute picture books with super duper awful illustrations.  It's the whole package that makes it sell.  Sadly, I'm also learning that not everyone really cares about  producing their best work.  Again, frustrating...

Things I'm still trying to figure out:

how to keep 2 busy boys occupied on rainy days
how to juggle all the demands of motherhood
how to lose weight while still enjoying my kids' Easter candy

What can I say?  I'm a work in progress...


Labels: