13 Books about Love, Romance, and Marriage

This weekend was my 13th wedding anniversary and I can't help but wonder where the time has gone. We have moved 5 times, had 3 kids, survived near death, great stress, incredible highs, decimating lows...and we are still married. Amazing, really.

The traditional gift for 13 years is lace.  Seriously?  No.  The modern gift for 13 years is textile furs. Strike 2.  So in rebellion, I give you the Big Hair version...a book list!

13 All Time Favorite Books about Love, Romance, & Marriage from Big Hair and Books




Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights



Seriously, this is my all time favorite.  The writing is fabulous.  The characters well developed.  And the story is just plain gut-wrenching.  It gets me every time.


Eleanor & Park

Eleanor & Park



I adored this book.  Really.  I've blogged about it before...with excessive enthusiasm! If you haven't read this one, read it.  It makes you remember what it's like to fall in love.  And it makes you cheer for the mismatched circumstance that love can be.  

Sonnets from the Portuguese


Sonnets from the Portuguese



My husband read these to me when he was trying to win me over.  Newsflash:  It worked.



The Husband's Secret

The Husband's Secret



This book explores multiple couples and the hopes, dreams, secrets, and hangups everyone has.  Good stuff.



The 5 Love Languages

The 5 Love Languages



My husband and I did this years ago and we still talk about it.  There is a reason this has been a bestseller for so many years!




The Antelope in the Living Room

The Antelope in the Living Room



Hilarious is the only word to describe this one.  So, so funny.  I laughed and laughed and read large portions aloud to those around me.  



Anna Karenina

Anna Karenina



Oh, this one is heartbreaking.  It explores the pulls on the protagonist from love, passion, loyalty, and responsibility.  Oh, the complexities of the heart!!


Redeeming Love

Redeeming Love



This one is good and I am stunned by the sacrificial love in this one every time I read it.  It is what love should be, but most often is not.


The Gift of the Magi


The Gift of the Magi



Oh, my heart!  The absolute sweetness of this story melts me!  I love the devotion of this couple!


Gone With the Wind


Gone with the Wind



Most of us know the story from the movie, but if you have never read this novel you need to rectify that!  An opinionated woman, and immovable man, and their tumultuous love affair?!  Yes, please! This is basically a book documenting a battle of the wills and I love it!

Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre



This book is so good that there are a kajillion spin-offs from it.  It is forbidden love and it is unfair and it is fabulous.


Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary



Because sometimes love is quirky, and funny, and irreverent.  



The Complete Works of Jane Austen


The Complete Works of Jane Austen


...because I truly couldn't decide which of her books to list...and I didn't want to list them individually!

Jane Austen literally wrote the book(s) on love.  I find it hard to pick a favorite!  

Labels: ,